Wednesday, September 30, 2009






The Kern County Fair was very good to me. Somehow the beauty of Ohoyo came through me and onto the canvas. People recognize her quiet strength. First Place, Best of Show. Ohoyo won it. I may send her the ribbon. ...then again I may put it on a hat.

The fair held a plein air competition last Saturday. Roy and I went out among the amusement rides, 103 degrees. I can't believe we came up with anything. More surprising was that I didn't really mind the heat. Somehow it was tuned out. Later I asked Roy if it was hot. He didn't know if I was joking or not. Somehow when I paint everything ceases to be an obstacle. Well, okay, sometimes.
Later Allen Davis from Bakersfield College (35 years professor of Art/Art History and Design) judged this open composition watercolor to be Best of Show and gave it a 1st prize blue ribbon.

Santa- "One hundred twenty two days til Christmas" Won a first prize blue ribbon in the decorative art division. It was from a photo of my dear friend Ron Edsall, possibly he really IS Santa, sometimes I wonder. I created a watercolor of the photo then highlighted it with oil pastel. Santa is carving out a small fiddle to be given away to a young fiddler for Christmas. Course it's typical of Ron to give such gifts in real life. See what I mean? He could be the real thing, after all when I thanked him for letting me photograph him he simply said "It's One Hundred Twenty Two days til Christmas"... now how else would he know that if he wasn't really Santa?

Koi - a watercolor/pastel was awarded a blue ribbon and the Bakersfield Art Association's Professional Award. That was very nice of them and is well appreciated as are the other awards. To be recognized by one's peers is lovely. It doesn't happen too often that we take the time to give credit to one another for our accomplishments. This was a beautiful show and an honor to be recognized.
love,
Chela

No comments:

Post a Comment